The Families First Wellbeing consortium provide an integrated programme to support children, young people, and their families who are living, or at risk of living, in poverty throughout Newport; helping them to improve their health, safety, and to enjoy wellbeing. Consortia partners include; Newport Live, Newport Mind, Kaleidoscope, and Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board.
Our ethos is to ensure families are supported and encouraged to live a healthy lifestyle. This may be in the form of universal health promotion messages and activities, or through specifically targeted health & wellbeing interventions depending on need. We aim to provide varying levels of support and intervention to families with health needs and inequalities. The following support mechanisms are some examples of how we hope to achieve our goals:-
- Family resilience therapy to support and educate families on how to cope with life changes and make positive changes to their wellbeing.
- A portfolio of community based weight management programmes and direct interventions with identified families.
- Healthy eating and nutritional support for families and on a 1:1 basis
- Promotion of behaviour change and 1:1 support focusing on physical health and diversionary community sports/activities
- Talking therapy support linked to health and wellbeing needs, including both personal and family relationships, and harm minimisation