The Families First Wellbeing consortium provide an integrated programme to support children, young people, and their families who are living, or at risk of living, in poverty throughout Newport; helping them to improve their health, safety, and to enjoy wellbeing. Consortia partners include; Newport City Council Active Communities Team, Newport Mind, Kaleidoscope, and Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board.
Our ethos is to ensure families are supported and encouraged to live a healthy lifestyle. This may be in the form of universal health promotion messages and activities, or through specifically targeted health & well-being interventions depending on need. We aim to provide varying levels of support and intervention to families with health needs and inequalities. The following services and support mechanisms will ensure we achieve these goals:-
- Family resilience therapy to support and educate families on how to cope with life changes and make positive changes to their well-being.
- A portfolio of community based weight management programmes and direct interventions with identified families.
- Alcohol intervention programmes involving the individual and family of the individual to support and maintain change.
- To ensure exit routes are in place and accessible for families to maintain behaviour change achieved through access to the project.
- To work in partnership with organisations to ensure a smooth transition for families involved within the wellbeing project.